You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

_Rogue_

[+1] [-1]

Subject: The Warent

Fear gripped the forest dwellers. Fear that at any moment, they could become the next victim. The hunts killed scores of wolves, but the beast still killed at will. The Westlanders began to be swayed by the Northlanders, thinking perhaps it was a demon beast of some sort, or they would have killed it by now. The Arelian hunters remained strong in their conviction that it was only a hoax, and that the beast in question was being controlled by someone mortal. The descriptions being given were one's of fear, the creature was no more than a particularly strong and large wolf.

Although commonsense pointed out that Usko could not have been the killer, for the sole reason that he was only to protect Twili, Fintan ignored it. They were charged with that protection by a witch, a sorceress. That was an ill omen as it was. A different path of logic had taken place in Fintan's mind. The witch had charmed Usko so that he could alter his appearance. Twili, Twili was too innocent to know any of this. She already did not know things about herself. She held no blame in this mater. Berri...that wolf was about as dense as brick mortar. Cera was smart enough to know what was going on. Chances are, that is what she had said he was not "authorized" to know. She had to be calm to keep people off of their ass. Protecting Twili was just a cover. Or atleast, that is what Fintan thought. The only thing making no sense was what Midna's motives.

All that remained, was for Fintan to capture Usko, then the killings and attacks would stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're kidding Fintan...how could that wolf be the cause of all of this?" Robert inquired as Fintan stormed out of the tent, pushing people aside.

"Shall I list the ways? For starters, the girl's description matched the fact he's a larger than normal wolf."

"He's one of that wolf girl's protectors..."

"Two, he has no control. He bit off a noble's hand, a simple bite would do, but he bit it off. It would not surprise me if his bloodlust drifted in to this as well."

"...Well..."

"Thirdly, the girl said the beast did not think that humans had a right to be on the land. Remember what Usko said the night we started the hunt?"

"So what are you going to do?" Robert sighed.

"I am going to Duke Marquee. Get his authority to arrest Usko. We will wait one month. If, during the time of his captivity the beast strikes again, I was wrong."

"And if it doesn't..."

"Then obviously Usko was the monster, and I'll have sixty thousand gold pieces, and a new wolf coat."

Robert was hesitant about the entire idea, but he knew Rogue was most likely right. "If you are going to speak to the Duke...should you not get something other than a shirt covered in that young girl's blood?"

"...Right." Fintan turned around and ran back to his tent. He appeared several minutes later in a clean white lace shirt, a green and silver waistcoat and green hunting coat. "Shall we?" He asked putting his tricorn hat and walking towards the horses.

The two soldiers mounted their horses, Fintan for once towering over Robert on his Percheron. The two rode out of the camp, towards the city of Helios. The journey was quick, it took very little time to get from the camp to Helios, which was only about ten minutes away. They rode through the streets towards the mansion of Duke Marquee. Fintan noticed that most of the houses they passed had a wolf paw nailed to the front door. The strange decor caused him to raise a brow, though he said nothing of it.

"Beware! The gods punish us for our sins! They send the Beast among us!" Shouted a herald at the gates of the manor. The guards looked annoyed at the herald, and Fintan could understand why.

"We are here to see Duke Marque. I am..." Fintan was interrupted by one of the guards.

"His Grace is not seeing anyone."

"Let us in to see him, and he'll be shut up." He pointed to the herald just before he yelled.

"THE END IS NEAR!"

"Right this way, Mi'lords." The guards led him inside the walls, and to the manor itself. The guard opened the doors as the second guard took the horses to the stables. The Arelians were lead in to the manor and to the parlor. The guard motioned for them to wait, and went to retrieve the duke. Just as Fintan began to examine a portrait on the wall, the duke stepped out on to the gangway

"So, my guard tells me that you have information on the beast that plagues my region?" The duke was rather large, his tunic barely reached his trousers. A short, bowl shaped hair cut, and large nose, narrow eyes. All in all, a very unattractive ad un-noble looking man. Never the less, he had the power to grant what they wanted.

"Your Grace, I am Fintan de Marin." Fintan removed his hat and bowed. "This is my associate, Sir Robert MacArthur. We are Arelians who took up the hunt for reasons of our own."

"Ah...de Marin. I have heard a good deal of you, My Lord. The pride of the Areilan Army, and captain of the Arelian colony of Prechan, are you not?"

"You are very kind, Your Grace. And yes, I am he."

"Well, de Marin, speak of what you wish to."

"Your Grace, I have reason to believe the beast in question is the...pet of a traveling girl."

"You think I should have the girl arrested?"

"No, Your Grace. I feel she has nothing to do with it...she can hardly remember her own past, so to think she could be bright enough to conduct murders by use of a wolf is impossible. I think the wolf may have been bewitched by a sorceress by the name of Midna Starlett."

"I see...what are you saying, Governor?"

"Your Grace, I ask for twenty men, and your authorization to capture and detain this wolf for a period of one month time. If in that time, the beast's attacks stop, I shall personally deliver the killing shot. If the killings continue, then I shall compensate Your Grace for the effort the men made."

"And if it is the wolf? You will be seeking the reward?"

"I would then ask, Your Grace, that the reward be changed to the command of one hundred men. To seek out, capture, try, and ultimately execute the aforementioned witch."

"Granted. You may take twenty men from my garrison. This should be simple for you, they are freshly trained by Arelian musketeers, and are equipped with the latest firearms. A product of Helios' treaty with Princess Keeva. Good luck, Governor de Marin." The duke tossed Fintan a scroll that granted him authorization to arrest the wolf, and anyone that interfered.

Time Posted: April 30 2011 09:15 pm EDT
Last updated: May 6 2011 11:41 pm EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: