You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Eddie_the_Kid

[+1] [-1]

Subject: An interesting topic for discussion
So I am working on a massive paper at the moment, and it got me thinking. See, the paper is about the moral/ethical 'right' to privacy, and seeing as this is a game where most people use a screen-name for anonymity's sake, I thought why not get some public opinion.

So, in order to get some differing view points, and to see if the opinions of most people seem to coincide with the research I've done in terms of academic sources, I ask the following questions for anyone that wishes to try:

1) What is privacy?
2) Do we have a right*, or a need, or both, in terms of privacy?
3) If we do have a right and not just a need for privacy, where does this right come from?
4) Has any of this changed due to rapidly developing technology, like the internet?

These are the questions I am asking and trying to answer in my paper, and note it is a 20+ something page paper so I am not expecting the most detailed answers in comparison, more just looking for what others think... but please try to stick to actual arguments (not just what one feels, but why they feel/think they feel that way for example).

*For the purposes of these questions, assume that a right means that a social contract or agreement exists of some kind. In my opinion there are three kinds of rights: Government/legal rights, social/cultural rights, and personal rights.

Government/legal rights are those actual concrete rights that are written into law and pertain to how individuals may interact with their government or society as a whole.
Social/cultural rights are the rules that dictate how individuals should interact with other individuals and include those rules not considered by the government/legal rights.
And finally, personal rights are those that stem from human autonomy yet are different from the other two classes or not represented there-in.

Privacy could arguably be any one of these kinds of rights (legal rights only fall under the first type, but a moral/ethical right can stem from any of the three), but please try to specify which you think your describing

Time Posted: October 25 2011 11:06 pm EDT
Last updated: October 27 2011 08:20 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: