You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Scabernac

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Complicated questions
Value is subjective. If your soul is the most valuable thing you have, then there would be no reason to sell or trade it. If however there is something out there that you value more than your soul, you would trade it for that thing and possibly be justified.

Subjectively, I think there are things out there that are more valuable than a single soul. Utilitarian thinking leads to the idea that multiple souls or 'better' souls would be more valuable than one soul or 'worse' souls for example.

While a utilitarian or altruistic take on the Fustian arrangement is somewhat different than the usual egoist examples seen in literature, I think it is still of note. However, utilitarian or altruistic actions do come up in such literature occasionally, usually as an example of self-sacrifice that overrides their deal with the Devil (or whatever character is fulfilling the roll of the deal maker).

So, all that in mind...

Q: Would someone be willing to sell their soul?
A: It depends on the offer.

Q: Would I sell my soul?
A: It depends on the offer.

Q: Would I be justified in the selling of my soul?
A: I would be justified on a functional basis only if the thing being traded for was worth more to me than my soul. I would be morally justified however only if said justification can be made on an utilitarian or altruistic basis, I think.

Of course, every discussion of the soul becomes more complex or complicated depending on your definition of soul and how much sway religion or philosophy has within the discussion so there is a lot more that could be said about the Faustian deal.

Time Posted: December 10 2012 12:06 am EST
Last updated: December 10 2012 07:58 am EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: