You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Fintan_de_Marin

[+1] [-1]

Subject: The Informant

With a week passing since the return of Silver Rose, posters had begun to make their way various surfaces. Many young maidens had started listening to any scrap of news about the highwayman. It was their dream that while walking one night, they may meet the him, and a silver rose might be given to them. Most nobles who had heard of it were stricken with terror, fearing the loss of their wealth.

It was not until one afternoon out in town that Fintan learned how severe the situation with Silver Rose really was. He had come to go to a tavern, the Black Swan, to meet an old friend. The Black Swan was a quiet little tavern near the military district of Helios. It had mostly soldiers as patrons, making the musketeer feel at home. He sat at a table, with a few of his Westland counterparts telling jokes and stories over an ale.

"Now the problem with us is simple. We have a different language." Fintan smirked, sipping his drink.

"I understand you right enough, de Marin." Chimed in a Westlander.

"Not what I mean. If you tell a Royal Musketeer to secure a building, we will occupy it and defend it with musket and artilleries, not allowing anyone near it."

"Aye..." The soldier spoke.

"And if you tell a Westlander to secure it, then you kill everyone inside and set fire to the building."

"And it bloody works too!" Shouted a second, earning a modest laugh from most.

"Tell a Decrian, or as you know them, Dwarfs to secure a building, the fools lock the doors and go to a tavern." Several men laughed at the joke. "Meanwhile the bloody dragons take out a ten month lease, with option to by on the damned thing!" The tavern erupted in laughter.

"Causing trouble again, Mr. de Marin?" Asked a voice from the door. Fintan gazed back to the door to see who had spoken. It was the young lady he had come to meet. She looked a few years older than the Count. Short brown hair, very short for a woman. Blue gray eyes were lit up in her smile as Fintan crossed the floor to her.

"My dear Isabella." He took her hand and kissed it. "You look as lovely as always." She wore a deep blue skirt and bodice, trimmed with silver. Her

"Always the charmer. Hello Rogue." A few people looked at Isabella with either a look of sympathy or a look of bewilderment. They all expected Fintan to cut her down where she stood for calling him a rogue. It was beyond a shock when the highwayman laughed.

"As always, Bell. Shall I get you a drink?"

"No, but thank you. I don't drink anymore, it only gets me in to trouble."

"But that's the excitement of the drink, my dear."

"I do not trust you enough, not to make inappropriate suggestions if I were to get drunk."

"Miss Devarla, I am shocked!" Fintan had a look of mock offense. "Would I do something like that?"

The entire tavern shouted out a resounding. "Yes!"

"To Infrean with the lot of you. Miss Devarla, I shan't attempt to persuade you if you are set in your conviction. But I hope you do not mind if I indulge in a drink?" Isabella only smiled and sat down at a table.

"If you get inappropriate, I will have to stop you." She smirked, sitting across from him.

The two began talking about everything under the sun. From the coming festival, sponsored by the Empire, to the crusades being held in Da'Hara.

"I am surprised you are not in the thick of those battles at the moment, Fintan. Aren't you always talking about how you would like the chance to bash a few of those 'heathen dogs'?" Isabella leaned back and crossed her arms.

"I am, but I believe that the suffering of those closer to home must be dealt with first." Fintan looked off in to space as he answered.

"I thought that Arelia-" She was cut off.

"Arelia is not what I'm talking about. Our allies need help as well. Surely you've heard about that highwayman." He gave a wink.

"Oh yes, I've heard he's riding again. But I thought he was killed?" Isabella leaned forward, putting her hands down on the table.

"Apparently, those guards did not do a very good job of taking his life." Fintan's hand slid across the table and rested on Isabella's. "Would you like to get a room?"

"I thought you said you were going to behave?" Isabella laughed, sounding half serious. Fintan lowered his doublet collar, showing the silver rose on his shirt collar. The lady in waiting took a brief moment to think, and gave a single nod.

The highwayman stood up and stepped over to the bar. Wendy only looked up at him, wiping out a mug with a cloth.. He set down a four Griffs and motioned to upstairs. The barmaid nodded as he turned away. Isabella stood up and joined Fintan as he walked upstairs.

Once the two were in the room, Fintan shut and locked the door, and blew out the candles. Except for one that was on a table. He drew the curtains shut. "Fintan...what exactly are you planning?" Isabella gave him a cautious look, though she was pressing back a laugh.

"Well first I was thinking we would start on the table and then move to the bed."

"FINTAN!"

"I'm only joking, I do not want to arouse suspicions." Fintan leaned on the table, and folded his arms. "What can you tell me?"

"Well...what do you want to know?"

"Exactly what you use to tell me. The ins and outs of the nobles. Who has the most wealth? Who is the most vulnerable? Who is on what roads? When are they on those roads?"

"They are more cautious now. There is another highwayman on the roads these days. Silver Star. We, or at least those of us employed by the nobles, believe him to be a mimicker. Trying to live up to Silver Rose's stories and legends. I think someone I work with fancies them both..." She trailed off for a moment, but snapped out of it quickly. "Most of the wealth is held in the Ortfox Family, the Eslipmantle Family, and the Osiris Family."

Isabella thought for a moment, before speaking again. "The road to Kratos us currently under constant gaze of the military. Due to Silver Star. No one travels it with out being in a large convoy that is heavily armed. The Ordin Highway is worthless as always. The Helios is your best bet, for now. Eventually it will again become watched as heavy as Kratos. The Icarus Highway is the most traveled. The stormy weather between Icarus and Triton make it too difficult to try and ride on those roads, so it's the safest."

"Thank you, Miss Devarla. This information shall be put to good work. ...Are you sure I can not persuade you to join the Empire's forces? We could use someone of your talents."

"I only repeat what I hear, I'm really not that good of a spy."

"I must disagree."

"You're sweet."

"I know." Fintan stood up straight, took Isabella's hand once more and kissed it again.

Time Posted: November 20 2011 11:16 am EST
Last updated: December 26 2011 06:46 pm EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: