You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Quietude

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Interesting
I agree that this is an interesting topic. There are a few distinctions that we should make at the start of the discussion before delving further:

1. Rules vs. legal systems. Legal systems and laws by their definition must be more precise in their definition and the consequences carefully defined. Rules are often more flexible and more appropriate for low importance environments. I.E. flexibility is more appropriate when consequences are virtual jail in a game rather than jail in real life.

2. DW vs. general world. I agree that the issue of societal mores changing over hundreds of years is interesting. For the sake of keeping this discussion in Game discussion rather than in NGD, let's confine ourselves (for the purpose of this discussion) to DW examples. This will also help us avoid syllogisms.

Now before I respond - a couple caveats -

*The opinions I'm about to express are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the game and-or admin.
** My statements reflect what i know and are truthful to the best of my knowledge. There is a certain degree of assumption involved in generalized statements about jailing situations as we may not be privvy to all of the facts. These facts are understandably not for public consumption - the privacy of the individual involved as well as the need to not spread negativity (both in ideas and in practice) may preclude full disclosure.

That said, let me raise a few points:

Most DW rules are stated explicitly, and outline the types of consequences that breaking them will bring. The particular area of interest was community failure and why the definition was not more specific. The first reason, is that to accurately and specificly define every possible instance of community failure would create a massive set of rules (who wants to spend the time writing or reading that?). The second is the infinite creativity of the malcontent. Were we to have a codified set of rules detailing all the possible community failure infractions, it would imply that the things not listed were permissible.

Now - as to the question of fairness.
To the best of my knowledge everyone jailed for community failure is given a warning first, and the chance to change their course of action. (Since I didn't jail anyone, this statement reflects my best knowledge of the principles with which staff and admin operate). Therefore all though interpretation of the rules may change over time, warnings allow people to be aware of what the rules are in their time, as well as of the risk that they may incur some consequence by continuing their action.

Further - there is an appeal process that players can go through to ask for further consideration of their situation. I can think of at least one player in the last few months who had their jail sentence significantly altered after appealing.

Common sense, warnings and the spirit of the law regarding specifically the community failure rule seem to be a logical choice. Could there be abuses - yes - any human system contains the room for mistakes and abuses. Do I think that these errors are pervasive in the westland jail? No. I don't think the consequences of getting jailed aren't serious enough to warrant the time and effort of codifying the equivalent of an entire legal system. I am more comfortable with the judgement of the administration in this situation.

What are your thought?
Q

No Signature

Time Posted: August 12 2013 01:10 am EDT
Last updated: August 23 2013 10:07 pm EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: