You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Havenn_

[+1] [-1]

Subject: A short story by me ;]
Here's my little bit of fun

The little Inn looked just as I remembered it, even in the dying sunlight it still brought back the old feelings of safety and comfort. I smiled to myself and opened the door walking in and avoiding the tell tale creaky floor board that alerted Gabriel, the barkeep and my best friend, to any newcomers.
It was empty, the only sounds at all were the crackling fire and the sqeaks of Gabriel wiping down the bar. I sat down on one of the wooden stools in front of him and smiled, waiting for him to glance up at me. I looked away, noticing the simple wooden tables and chairs that dotted the floor in front of the hearth.
“Could ya please move them damn elbows ‘a yours?! Im tryin’ tuh clean up here an….” Gabriel’s sentence was cut short when I turned back to face him. “Gee Wilikers! I never thought I’d be seein’ you back here?!” He grabbed me from across the bar and pulled me into a hug that I graciously returned.
Yes, I’m back….And Ive missed you too!” I managed to say, his enormous arms were wrapped around my neck and his wrist was nearly in my mouth.
“Oh…sorry bout that!” He pulled back and looked me over, smiling to himself. “I thougt ya had died, Sybil….After that duel with Carmen….Nobody saw the outcome..” His smile reached his eyes and the cherry red of his cheeks filled me with such a sense of safety that I nearly cried.
Contrary to popular belief, I can fight!” I chuckled and showed him the palm of my hand where a long scar ran down. I saw him wince as though he could feel the pain that I had endured receiving it. “Carmen is dead…”
He looked up from my hand, disbelief spread over his features. “No…. You grabbed her sword?” I clenched my fist and nodded tightly as Gabriel sighed. “Lets come over here and you can tell me the story.” He motioned towards the little round tables and we made our way over to them. Gabriel sat out a loaf of bread with cheese for me and a heaping bowl of beans for himself.
“It was the only thing that I could do.” I closed my eyes and remembered that day. The tiny crystaline pond, that I was fighting so hard to protect, surrounded by tall cattails and reeds poking up from the ground as Carmen and I stared each other down, swords in hand. Her weapon was grand, expertly named “Eternal Death”. My “Fighter’s Treasure”, on the other hand, was as low as it gets. The name was a bit of an exaggeration for the rusty and jagged blade, though it was all I had and I held it forward with pride.
“You cannot win, Sybil….Give up now.” Carmen had hissed. Her eyes reminded me of a racoon, quick and cunning…those dark green depths were always planning her next move before she began.
“Carmen, I will not give up. I gave my word and I will kill you, or die trying.” My feelings had been conflicted, scared to die but ready to protect.
As we stepped towards each other, our eyes met and at that moment I knew that it would be a fight to the death neither of us was going to give up. She threw herself forward, stabbing at my chest but I brought my blade up quickly, forcing her arms away from me.
We went on like this for what seemed like hours though couldn’t have been more than a few minutes. Finally, I landed a blow. It hit her in the shoulder but knocked her off course just enough for me to move in. The quicker I came the more confident I became….that is until I felt the sharp point of her blade shoot into my chest. I gasped as blackness started billowing in around me, Carmen’s eyes coming into focus. Those eyes infuriated me, so much that I couldn’t stand the thought of them being the last thing I saw before I died…so I threw my sword forward, shoving it into her neck and ending her life. She collapsed onto the ground and I wrapped my hand around the blade of the weapon in my own chest and pulled it out, ignoring the pain that ripped through my hand, and then fell back into that sacred pool. Though I left that part out for Gabriel, it was a secret that I would have to keep.
“I made it though,” I said, looking back at Gabriel, “And I brought you something.” His eyes lit up as I pulled out a small leather pouch and tossed it to him. I sat back in my chair as he opened up the sack and pulled out a smooth, blue crystal.
“You couldn’t have…” He looked at me and held it up to examine it. “I thought that the crystal was in the pool?! The only way you could have gotten it is to have gone in?!”
I smiled at him and shook my head. “Nah, it was just laying on the deck beside it.” I couldn’t tell him that the immersion of myself in that pond had brought me back to life. I knew that I had to give the crystal to someone I could trust, someone that would relish the thought of protecting it…and Gabriel was the man for the job.
He turned it over in his hands, mouth slightly open. “Do ya think its true what they say bout it? That it can bring people back from the dead?”
I snorted in mock amusement and took a bite of the bread. “Probably not. Just some tall tale I’d say”

No Signature

Time Posted: June 15 2010 12:39 am EDT
Last updated: June 22 2010 12:54 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: