You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

lord onyx

[+1] [-1]

Subject: A Complete Guide to Outposts
To start you must purchase an outpost, you will need gold and ores to do so, you can get the ores (Burelia and Alethite) by working in the mine which can be found in westland (do not confuse the ore mines with the outpost mines as they are completely different)

From this point on you will need all of 3 things to do anything in your outpost, the ores mentioned above and tokens which are produced in your outpost itself

Mines and Farm: Mines increase token production
Farms produce "food" for your units, if you dont have enough farms your troops will starve and die, you need to have as many farms as you do units (so if you have 10 units you need atleast 10 farms). simply building a farm/mine does not mean it is producing tokens/food. how to operate them is included with the explanation of units below.

Tokens: There are 3 ways to acquire tokens 1) your outpost will generate tokens on its own, building mines makes it generate more. 2) stealing, you can attack the outposts of other players, if you beat them you will steal some tokens from them if they have any to steal. 3) you can trade in plats in the platinum shop for tokens, 1 plat will gain you 100 tokens (i dont advice this as plats are expensive in my opinion especially for new players as they are often quiet poor)

Units/Troops: There are 2 types of units ranged/defensive and close quarters/offensive. ranged troops increase your outpost's defensive score and close quarters increase your outpost's attack score. (Note: defensive units do have a small effect on your attack score just as offensive units have a small effect on your defensive score). Troops are not only used to attack other outposts and defend your own but they are also used to train new units and to work the farms/mines. To get your units to work the farms/mines they must be placed ontop of/next to the farm/mine, ranged units have a wide area of influence indicated by a red color when you click on the unit, any farm/mine in that area shall be worked by that ranged unit. attack units are not like ranged units, as they can only effect farms/mines that they are placed directly ontop of. To train units you need to first have enough tokens and ores, click on the object in the center of the outpost screen, this is your outpost building, then click train/build units, then click on the unit you want to build then click build again in the box that has appeared just below the unit selection and your unit shall begin its training. you need other units to train new units, to in this sense the outpost building functions like a mine/farm and your units must be placed next to or ontop of the outpost building in order for it to work

Upgrading your outpost: (this means to level up) just like everything else upgrading your outpost costs tokens and ores, as far as i know increasing your outposts level DOES NOT have an effect on unit training time or the production levels of mines/farms. It does however give you access to new units that are stronger and more expensive. IMPORTANT NOTE: EVERYTHING GETS MORE EXPENSIVE WHEN YOU LEVEL UP YOUR OUTPOST, this not only includes units but mines and farms as well.

Turns: at every revive you are granted 10 turns...this can be translated into attacks, 1 turn = 1 attack, so you can do a total of 10 attacks on another outpost every revive, you are free to attack 10 different outposts or attack the same one 10 times or 2 outposts 5 times apiece...you get the idea, if you fail to use up all 10 turns during a revive they do not stack with the ones you get from the next revive

That is everything that you need to know about outposts. Tips, Tricks, and my Personal opinions are listed below

since mines and farms get more expensive as you level up your outpost it is advisable to build many of them before leveling up even once.
since ranged units effect a wide area around them and can work multiple mines/farms all at the same time (they can also train units while working multiple farms/mines too) it is advisable to build all of your first farms and mines next to your outpost building
more than one unit can work the same farm/mine (example, a farm and mine are placed next to each other, if you put a ranged unit on each both units will work both the farm and mine essentially giving you farms and 2 mines)
it is my personal opinion that it is better to build ranged/defensive units over close combat/offensive units due to the ranged units wide area of influence...i currently have 32 mines and 33 farms working but have only built 3 mines and 7 farms, 3 attack units and so many defensive units effecting them that i wont even bother to count them and it takes me little more than a single revive to train a new unit.

----i have included below the idiots edition of my guide written by my friend, clanny, and former pupil Bitterleaf [431493]----

Leafy’s Idiot’s guide to getting your outpost started

Things you need to know:

This is just a step-by-step guide to getting started. Read Lord Onyx’s guide for more details about how Outposts work.

DO NOT under any circumstances upgrade your outpost. Upgrading will give you no benefits yet, and makes everything cost more than twice as much.

See at the bottom of the outpost screen, where it says Farm: then a number? That’s how much food you are producing.

Above that is your population. If this is bigger than the amount of food you are producing, your men (units) will die of hunger until the numbers are the same again.

Starving is the only way your units can die. Don’t worry about being raided – you will lose tokens but they won’t damage anyone or anything.

Everything you need to build will cost you a lot of Ore. So if you are going to do this properly, you need to make sure you are Mining every reset and save your findings. Or you can buy Ore from the Ore Market, but this gets expensive.

Ok, how do I build stuff?

There are 3 different things you can build. These are, in no particular order, Units, Farms, and Mines.

Check your food position. Can you support another unit? If yes, build a unit. If no, build a farm first.

Lets start with unit building. If you need to build a farm first, skip this bit and come back.

See the 4 grey squares in the middle of the field? That’s your outpost. Click on any of the 4 little squares and the top part of the screen should change to say Selected: Outpost, and you should have some Outpost Options – Train Units and Upgrade Outpost. Guess which one you have to click. (Clue – see things you need to know above).

OK, you’ve clicked Train Units. Now you should get two little pictures of the types of Unit you can train. Ignore the vagabond – for our purposes here, they suck. Instead, click on Train under the Rock Thrower. Another little window will open below the pictures called Message: and it will tell you how much your Rock Thrower will cost to train. If you’ve got the ore and the tokens, click build. If not, go away and mine/buy the appropriate stuff, come back and repeat all the above steps and then click build. It should now say “You have started to train a new unit” and above it will say Train Progress: 1/100.

Now go away and do other stuff. Lots of other stuff. This will take a while.

You can come back and check on your unit’s training progress at any time by clicking on the grey squares again. It will go up every hourly revive (nb only the hourly ones, even if you are a subbie) by the amount shown at the bottom in the statistics section under the heading Outpost: - to start with, training units could well take 100 hours – so we need to increase that Outpost stat asap (It maxes out at 31 so it always takes at least 4 hourly revives to build a unit).

Eventually you will come back and find that your brand new unit has finished his training, and will be deposited in a square at the top of your field, which is no use to anyone, so we need to move him (or her – it’s hard to tell) somewhere more useful.

Click on the Rock Thrower, and you will note that the Unit Options box opens at the top. Also, a red highlight will be added to the map covering the square your Rock Thrower occupies plus all 8 surrounding squares (5 surrounding squares if he’s at the edge of the map, or 3 if he’s in a corner). These red squares are the ones the Rock Thrower influences.

Influences? What does that mean?

Glad you asked. Basically, for every Farm you have within that red zone, it adds +1 to the Farm statistic at the bottom (ie you produce 1 more food). For every Mine within the red zone, it adds +1 to the Mines statistic (this is the number of tokens you produce every hour). For each grey Outpost square within the red zone, it adds +1 to the Outpost statistic (so you train units faster). So, if you had for example 9 mines built in a square, and plonked a Rock Thrower onto the middle one, your Mines stat would increase by 9.

Also, more than one Rock Thrower can influence each mine or farm. So, if you had a farm and a mine next to each other, and put a Rock Thrower on the mine, he would add +1 to both Farms and Mines statistics as both would be in his red zone. But if you put a second rock thrower on the farm, he would also influence both, and add another +1 to the Farms and Mines statistics. And so on.

Anyway, back to the guide. Click Move Rock Thrower, from the Unit Options section, then click where you want him to move to. To begin with, you probably want him to go onto one of the grey squares in the middle – as all four squares will be in his influence zone this will add +4 to your Outpost statistic and make training further units much quicker. But he will also influence the 5 surrounding field squares so this is where you want to build your first mines and farms.

Don’t worry if you put him in the wrong place – you can move your units as often as you want by clicking on them and selecting Move Rock Thrower again. When he’s in the right place, select Finish Move from the message window so you clan click on other squares without moving him again.

Building Farms and Mines:

Click on an empty green square. Note – once built, you cannot move mines or farms so make sure you position them right! Ok, Plot Options should have appeared in the top window, and you should click on Build on Grass. Up should pop some little pictures of a mine and a farm. Select which one you want to build, and click Build under the appropriate picture.

As with building units above, the Message window will appear telling you how much the building will cost. If you can afford it, click build, otherwise cancel and come back when you can. Unlike units, mines and farms appear instantly, which is nice.

Getting the balance right:

Ok, the important thing to always bear in mind is that you must never build units if you don’t have enough food to support them. But also bear in mind that each farm will ultimately provide 9 food, assuming you surround it with Rock Throwers. So you will only ever need 19 farms to support an entire field of 168 Rock Throwers…the rest (145 squares) should all be mines.

To start with, you’ll probably need quite a few farms just to get enough food going to build enough units. But once you’re up and running, and you start overlapping your Rock Throwers’ influence zones, you won’t need to build them as often and can concentrate on building mines – only building farms when you need more food.

Obviously you want to cram as many buildings into your units’ influence zones as possible, so you should always build in one big cluster. Basically, start in the middle of the field, around the outpost, and work your way out to the edge.

So, what about those Vagabond units?

Oh yeah, those guys. They differ from Rock Throwers in two significant ways.
Firstly, they are more offensive units and give a better attack rating if you want to go raiding. This guide doesn’t cover raiding, so I’m going to ignore that.

The other difference is that Vagabonds only influence the square they occupy, and not any of the surrounding squares. However they do have a +1 bonus on the square they occupy, so they effectively count as two units on that square only. This may be good right at the very start, but is rubbish compared to Rock Throwers with their huge influence zone.

What next?

Well, your ultimate goal is to fill all the green squares with mines and farms, with a Rock Thrower on each one. If you have done this right you should be producing approx 1150 tokens every hour!

At this point, you could finally start upgrading your outpost. Each Upgrade enables you to buy stronger troops – so if you really want to, you could disband your Rock Throwers one at a time and replace them with higher level alternatives. But note, the only difference is in their attack and defence statistics – a level 1 unit is just as good as a level 20 unit for producing food and tokens - so it's really only worth it if you want to be an active raider. However if you can't be bothered to raid, then provided you remember to spend all your tokens in the food and drink shop regularly, there really doesn’t seem to be much point…

No Signature

Time Posted: March 16 2009 04:25 pm EDT
Last updated: December 20 2010 09:46 am EST

Replies:

This post has been locked.