You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Edulahin

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Hi again...
Scabernack: Title Dis discution.

"Keeps making me think of the "Make Love not Warcraft" episode of South Park.

I think both sides of the discussion are on to something. On the one hand, yes people should be able to do what they want to do, within reason. On the other hand, I do agree that it is prob not healthy (physically or mentally) to focus life around a single source of entertainment.

I think the issue here is moderation. There is now evidence (thanks to neuroscience) that anything that gives an individual pleasure will eventually rewire that area of the brain to pick up on that easier. Essentially, you can get addicted to anything you like, especially if it is done to much (a strong argument for why sex can be addicting despite not being an addictive substance). That means that if someone takes their entertainment sources in abundance instead of moderation, then their brain will eventually make them addicted to it.

Now, I read through the posts so know to whom edu was originally referring. These comments are not meant to be taken as saying that that person, or others that spend a lot of time here are addicted, but the possibility is most there. Even if you disagree with how edu presented his message, at the very least it should make a person stop for a second and at least ask themself, "Do I play to much?" I know that I had to ask that question myself, and for me I was. When I reduced my sign in time to once a week, my grades jumped from mid 70s to low 90s and I think an increase of 10-15% is significant evidence that I was right to ask, and prob should have asked that question sooner.

If you take out the responses and people getting offended over edu's style of posting, the message behind his post is that introspection is almost never a bad thing and that everyone, every once in a while, needs to stop and ask themselves what they are doing and why and what else could they be doing instead."

Time Posted: March 6 2012 10:05 pm EST
Last updated: March 6 2012 10:20 pm EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: