You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

grmann

[+1] [-1]

Subject: I think there are 3 basci camps
First, the people who have good enough ships to really benefit from an increased combat weighting for CPR points. The nature of the current combat rules make this a fairly small group. Which seems to be represented solely by Eddie in this discussion.

Second, the people who are in a position to benefit from CPR scoring that favors fishing. The nature of the fishing rules make this a fairly large group, anyone can fish. However, the simplicity of their position doesn't really leave a lot of scope for discussion, so they're not really a big voice in this particular debate.

Third, the people who would in theory like the CPR to be well balanced between combat and fishing, but who also recognize that the current combat rules almost exclusively favor the established combat powers. And who therefore believe that until something is done to open up more combat (or at least leveling) opportunities for everyone, weighting the CPR in favor of fishing is the lesser of two evils. These tend to be the people making the long multi-paragraph posts in response to Eddie.

As you may have guessed by the length of this post I'm in group three. I am not currently involved in any serious CPR attempt, but I would like more opportunity to improve my ship's combat capabilities. I'll admit that my lack of personal involvement in the CPR may lead me to undervalue the direct importance of CPR points and positioning, but I believe it also allows me to more clearly see the root causes of this dispute.

I would like to suggest that the most productive direction to take this discussion is to try to figure out a fairer ship combat system. One that respects the investments of time and resources that Eddie and the others like him have chosen to make to improve their ships, but that also allows a reasonable scope for others to rise up and pose legitimate challenges to them.

Time Posted: February 6 2011 01:20 am EST
Last updated: February 6 2011 04:04 am EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: