You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Orodreth Tiwele

[+1] [-1]

Subject: This is a fallacy
because you're just posting empty rhetoric that "if you save up, you can buy anything".

Let's crunch some numbers so that we aren't just saying our opinions.

To be competitive on the highest level, you need a skill like Black Fate.
Black Fate costs 2000 sapphires.
Sapphires currently cost around 4 million on the market (even more if you were to buy 2000 of them).
So... to purchase the sapphires for Black Fate, you'd need 8 billion (8,000,000,000) gold. More than the richest player's bank, just for a skill.

Now, I know I'll be hearing you protest, "But you don't need Black Fate to be competitive!" Okay, let's say you can be competitive just with DTA or UED. That's 500 sapps - 2 billion gold. Still unbelievably expensive, as only 10 players could afford that.

Let's say that a new player has leveled up a bit and completed the Berlock quest. Maybe they have 100 max energy from playing in the DF and getting high level rings. That's around 3000 gold per revive in the lumber mill. Maybe they can fit in 8 revives per reset (subby). That's 24,000 gold per reset from lumbering.
Let's say they have an outpost that they can use go get 1 death sweat per hour. That adds 50% to lumber profit per reset, a total of 36,000.
Let's say they can earn 100,000 gold per reset from fishing, and 15,000 per reset from mining and selling ores. So they're up to an income of 151,000 per reset. Let's say they trap or play Hangman or collect daily wage so we can round that up to 160,000. 2 resets a day: 320,000 per day, plus 1 helix which they might sell for a small profit, let's say 13,333 in profit.

This player is now making 1 million every 3 days. So every 12 days, they will be able to buy a sapphire. At this rate, it will take them 6000 days to afford DTA/UED.

You say that you don't have to purchase your sapps with gold? Well, what are the other ways?
Jousting is out of the question. 3 winners per month vs. hundreds of players who want the sapps.
Chat Quiz is out of the question. 1 winner per month vs. hundreds of contestants.
Hi-Lo is not reliable; while there are 60 winners per month, the winner only gets a prize around 50% of the time, and the prize is not always sapphires.

Let's say a player gets great skills, and invests a lot of time in Jousting and Chat Quiz. Let's say he/she wins all the prizes... 400 sapphires in a month. Maybe this player is good at Hi-Lo too and makes 100 more sapphires. That's 500 per month. So after 1 month they get a competitive skill. After 4 months they get the best skill.

But they still don't have stats! They're gonna need some stats to be competitive. So, 1000 strength and defense, 2000 agility, and 500 wisdom, coming up! That's a total of 4500 AP. Now, let's say they'd gotten 500 of it already, from training and leveling. 4000 more... okay, maybe only 3000. On average, the SCC gives 185 AP per 100 sapps. Every month, they can get 945 AP. So maybe in another 3 months they can get the stats to match the skills.

So, after 8 months, if you win everything that gives free sapps, you can make your way up to being competitive.
Let's take a conservative estimate, though, and say it's closer to 6 months that a player has to win EVERYTHING in order to afford this. That's 2 players, completely fitted out, per year.

In conclusion, let's be realistic here... you're not going to win anything all the time because you can't just play DW all day. It would take years to save up the required gold, and monopolizing the in-game sapp prizes (the very idea is preposterous) would allow 1 out of 1000 active players to do this, and it would still take a while.

You just simply cannot be competitive without paying money for your own sapphires.

If you want to prove me wrong, go make an account on W2 or another OGN game. Without spending any money (and without anyone else spending money on your account), make your way up to the top, and tell me when you get there. I've got a feeling I'll be waiting quite a while!

No Signature

Time Posted: August 1 2010 11:23 pm EDT
Last updated: August 2 2010 12:50 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: