You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Orodreth Tiwele

[+1] [-1]

Subject: I'm sorry, you don't understand.
Chipper and I are telling you exactly how it works. It's not just a price you can bitch at for being too high or too low, it's at that price for a reason. You can understand why, or you can put a blindfold over your eyes and ask for something that you will end up regretting. Personally, I think you're intelligent, so I'll explain it for you up-close.

Both locations are methods of trade- trading one commodity for another.
Slated Hut: Platinum -> Gold
Platinum Market: Platinum -> Gold

They do the exact same thing. You put platinum in, you get gold out. There might not be any piece of code tying them together, but they both "compete" for the same thing. People will go with which ever mechanism gets them more gold.

I believe, but am not sure (from playing DW beta in 2005), that platinum prices were once lower, say at 5000 gold. When the Slated Hut was added, it gave a payout of 6000 gold per platinum, when fully upgraded.

Now... if you can make 6000 gold per platinum really easily, and you see it on sale for 5000, what are you going to do? You'll buy it all, of course! You make 1000 gold in profit off each one. So you'll buy up every single one and get 20% profit on it. You'll buy as much 5000/plat or 5500/plat there is, and you'll make millions upon millions.

One day, let's say the market goes above 6000. Now, you don't want to buy any more, because you won't make a profit of what's now 6200/plat. But you're smart, and you know that it'll go back down, so you save up for the next time you see plats below 6000, and you buy them all up and make millions more. And you're a rich and happy guy with the money you've earned quickly.

Pretty soon, though, other people start upgrading their Slated Hut. They see that they can make a profit too. So now, instead of just you, there might be 20 people hounding the market for the time it falls below 6000. It's gonna get bought up pretty quickly.

Now, you can try to buy platinum below 6k, but there's only the occasional 10 plats at 5900, and you can only make 1k from that every few days, maybe. And on top of that, platinum sellers have Slated Huts of their own. They know that if they sell it for any less than 6k, they're wasting their time, because they could get 6k in the Slated Hut. So nobody who knows what they're doing sells below 6k now, and the market stabilizes just above 6k.

Let's say we raise the payout to 8k per plat. Couldn't do any harm, could it? Well, the first to upgrade their SH will buy up everything below 8k on the market. In a week you'll have a couple people who make the occasional profit from buying when it's below 8k, and in a month the sellers will have upgraded and nobody will sell below 8k. The price stabilizes at 8100-8300 and people start complaining again about how the SH isn't profitable.

That's all there is to it. The price on the market is based on what people can sell for, and will always, always, ALWAYS be higher than what you get from the Slated Hut. The SH becomes just a price control for the plat market, because it does the same thing- platinum in, gold out. Platinum is the only commodity that has a NPC buyer.

What you really want is a fundamental change in the way the Slated Hut works.

But hey, if you want to prove me wrong... feel free to sell all your platinum on the market for 5500 to show how the SH doesn't impose a price floor of 6000. I'll be the first one to pounce on the listing with the 26M I have saved up, and then turn around, sell it, and make 30M+. Your call.

No Signature

Time Posted: June 6 2010 05:12 pm EDT
Last updated: June 9 2010 11:38 pm EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: