You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

turbo_mom

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Calling people noob and why?
Hello everyone.

This is something i have been thinking about for awhile now so please read my points before you say something about it.
tl/dr;? Just skip to the end to read the main question.

As i have traveld around in the realm of online games, both text based and then ofcourse real games i have noticed a strange phenomenon.

The word noob is thrown around alot, and it's more often than not used in the wrong way. This gets me thinking about what kind of people actually use this word. Some of the uses are legitimate and therefore some users are exempt from what i am talking about. But the startling majority of the people to me just seem to be plain ignorant.

For the sake of the rest of the text being more readable i will be refearing to a person who uses the word 'noob' as Steve and the normal person as Charles

One of the uses i have seen is in arguments:
Charles gets into a rather intense argument with Steve, and Steve ofcourse thinks he is right and doesn't consider the fact that you can actually learn something from arguing(This is what all people with an iq below 80 do i imagine). So Steve thinking that he has nothing to learn, but not having the skill to argue back and try to impart his knowleedge on other people just resorts to calling them a noob. And then i imagine he sits by his computer chuckling quietly to himself and picks some leftover cake from his stomach.

Another one is Steve realising he is inferior to Charlie.
Well Steve being the person that he is does ofcourse not want to realise that he is inferios to anyone else, in any aspect at all. And therefore resorts to the only thing he knowns how to do. (I am guessing from school where i imagine he spent his time picking on people because he did not actually manage to keep up with real school work.) And that is talk down to someone, and well being the person that he is he knows no better way of insulting someone than calling them noob.

I could go on and on but i have better things to do.

I will leave you all with this little though.

I have been thinking about how theese people turned out like this.
Was there something in Steves childhood that made him act like this, was it perhaps the parents who did not do good enough of a job?
Or was it infact the teachers?

I say once and for all we start using the word noob properly. The people who throw this word around are whats wrong with the world today.

So my question is, who should we blame? Or is this infact not a problem at all?

No Signature

Time Posted: April 7 2010 01:39 pm EDT
Last updated: April 9 2010 09:26 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: