You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Staff Scabernac

[+1] [-1]

Subject: First Lance Reply
Pulling on the reigns, his horse comes to a stop at the opposite end of the tilt barrier. Looking towards the scoreboards he sees that he has been granted three points; knowing the meaning of such a score on only one lace, he looks back towards the center of the field and sees the 'Pu' lying on his back with the donkey he called Barnaby licking at his face. Turning his horse around he heads back to the center of the field to make sure his opponent isn't hurt too badly. Once reaching the impact zone, Pu is finally getting back on his legs and dusting off his clothing, but clearly looking down cast. Without saying a word Pu hands him Barnaby's reigns and walks off the field. Scabernac sits atop his horse watching and thinks he understands.

That afternoon Scabernac sits in his tent thinking to himself in silence. The silence is only disturbed when the squire enters the room to provide his master with a cup of water. As the squire turns to leave, he is stopped.

"I want you to go into town and find a large keg of beer then bring it back here. Once you return I would like you to help me with strapping it to the back of today's prize."

After a short time the squire returns and Barnaby is loaded up with keg, Scabernac now tells his squire, "I want you to return this donkey to Pu with my regards." The squire looks as if he about to question, but he thinks better of it and smiling both to his master and to himself, he takes the reins of Barnaby and moves to carry out Scabernac's orders.

With the business of the day finished, he decides to rest early for his match the following day with Master Barker.

After getting up early and preparing for the days match, he finds himself staring down the tilt at a rider that seems much more confident than his first opponent. Sitting astride his war horse, Scabernac could tell Barker was conversing with his own squire about something, but not taking his eyes off of Scabernac at the same time. "This man is a veteran and will not be an easy win," he thinks to himself. The squire produces a long golden box from which Barker produces a lance that even from so far a distance Scabernac could tell was special. "If he isn't holding back, then neither will I," he thinks.

Taking his lance, this time made from a single tree trunk of ash for more elasticity. It was harder to break, yet is more likely to snap forward and dehorse his enemy; with the added bonus of being much lighter an oaken lance.

The signal is given and he spurs the horse onward down the track, racing towards the opponent that was doing the same from the opposite end of the field. As the two horses ride ever closer Scabernac never takes his eyes off Barker. Watching every move and command to his horse Scabernac knows he has done this many times before. The lances are dropped level as they are only yards away; sinking his hilt into the cradle for more leverage.

Barker makes his move and Scabernac can see the lance beginning to drive forward towards him as his shield arm tenses like a spring to try and block off any chance of counter attack. Seeing his opening Scabernac aims his lance at a ten degree angle for the bottom of the shield to try and sneak in under it as Barker lifts his shield. At the same time, he throws himself backwards until his body was at a thirty degree angle with his horses back while letting his feet drop though the stirrups so as to catch his heel on them. Knowing that the blow from Barker would be a strong one, he was hoping that this position would help him defensively and throw Barker off balance for his own spring like lance to work to its fullest effect should his intended move strike as he hopes.

Time Posted: September 11 2009 12:21 am EDT
Last updated: September 11 2009 12:24 am EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: