You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

St_Winterheart

[+1] [-1]

Subject: CHAPTER 6. Alchemist.
Hemoglobin capsules, huh.

I watched in fascination as my wounds healed right before my eyes. The gnawing pain in my stomach gradually stopped as the strange liquid coninued to work on the rest of my body.

The last time I’ve seen similar capsules were in the atalier of our family alchemist. A mixture of concentrated hemoglobin from human blood and other fluids I’d rather not know, a single capsule is equivalent to feeding nonstop for a week. It was a wholesome substitute to murdering people, and only the best of the best alchemists could make them.

The hemoglobin slowly calmed whatever remaining bloodlust I felt, and I sighed in relief. I watched the flames from the bonfire sway in the gentle night breeze.

I’ve told the princess repeatedly that I was a vampire, but she never seemed to believe it. As far as she’s concerned, her mother made up that story about me to force her into behaving. Fat lot of good it did; she’s still a misbehaving little brat.

I chuckled softly as I remembered the time we spent together. The day she stole my contract; when we talked on the castle tower; the breakfasts she ate half-asleep; our useless training.

Then the princess’ reaction to my fangs flashed across my mind. The horror in her face, as if she just saw... a monster. Something suddenly hurt in the middle of my chest.

A monster...

I smiled sadly. I can just imagine how she felt after realizing that I really was a vampire. Probably similar to what I felt when I found out I was one. That sickening feeling is hard to describe-- the kind that starts from the bottom of your stomach and shoots up to your throat, making you want to throw up.

Maybe I’ll never see her again... I closed my eyes. So what's the problem? Hey, I’ll never see that damn contract either. I wouldn’t ever have to hear that kid wailing like a siren, a brat who thinks the world revolves around herself. I would be back to living alone, wandering the continent like a lost—

“... idiot.”

I looked up at the smirking face of the red-hooded woman. “I was saying, you look better when you’re pissed off-- because when you’re sad, you look like an idiot.”

I didn’t bother to think of a clever reply. “So you're an alchemist?"

"And a mage. Magic makes alchemy a little easier and vise versa. It made sense to practice both."

"What do you want for the pills?”

“My my, aren't we in a hurry? Two hundred years old and it seems you’ve learned nothing about patience.“

“If you want something in return, better say it now. If it’s for free, then thanks and I need to go—“

The woman burst into laughter. “to where?”

“. . . . . . . I . . . ” I opened my mouth to answer, but no words came out.

She tried to stifle her laughter, but it came out anyway. “You’re not thinking of the castle, are you? I mean, the “they’re-probably-lining-the-gates-with-silver-stakes-by-now” castle?”

That's... that's right. I can't go back there. I tried to come up with a place. Any place. But I couldn’t. “I... ... I’d... someplace that’s none of your business.”

She shook her head, chuckling. “Has anyone told you you're lame at lying?”

I bit my lip and turned around to leave.

“Take me with you.” She said loudly.

I stopped in my tracks and looked back at her. “WHAT??” I scowled at her.

“That’s what I want in return.” She folded her arms across her chest. “Let me come with you, and as long as we’re together, I will give you a constant supply of these pills.”

“WHAT?” I looked at her with the intent to bite her head off. “And why would I want to do that??”

“You said your name is Chill Winterheart?” She scratched her head. “Sounds really familiar. If I remember right, your family died two hundred years ago. The Holy Church ordered the Great Purification around that time; they put to death everyone who had a connection with the occult: witches, werewolves, mages, vampires... and alchemists. My family died then.”

Hoo boy, this is going to take a while. “The short version please!”

Her eyes, twinkling and mischievous just a few moments ago, suddenly turned cold. “Your family and my family were destroyed by the same people.”

I blinked at her. "My family died BEFORE the Great Purification began. My father wasn't killed by the Church; in fact, I know who killed my father--"

She spoke slower, more deliberately. “Your family and my family were destroyed by the same people.”

We were both silent.

I took a deep breath, and when I spoke again she could tell I was no longer pissed off. “Okaaay… Let’s hear the long version.”

“I knew you’d say that.” She smiled, and the twinkle in her eyes were back.

No Signature

Time Posted: March 13 2009 02:31 am EDT
Last updated: March 13 2009 02:31 am EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: