You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Scabernac

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Part II
The sun was bright... today is a good day to be alive. How long has it been? How old am I now? Does it even matter anymore? These are all questions He asks himself as he slowly meanders down the path; trying to enjoy the flowers and birds He hasn’t seen in who knows how long. He remembers that the Emperor had started to pull his armies out of the territories. The barbarians were raiding the villages then too... but it’s different now. Their weapons, fighting style, even the look of them... it’s all different than before. It doesn’t matter, the enemy of the people of this valley are always His enemy, but still He is curious.

The beautiful weather finally wins Him over and His mind trails, one hand lightly grazing the vegetation as He walks, while the other still holds His blade on the back of His shoulders. He continues on in this way for some time, just following the same path He has always taken to His eternal home in the mountains; always watched over by the old ones for times when He has work to do. There were times in the past when He wished they would tell Him what His work was; now He has given it up in vain.

He stops suddenly when He sees a large forest down the path from Him. Gauging that the forest probably stretches to the base of His mountain, He chuckles to Himself thinking, That’s new, maybe I have been asleep for a while. As He enters the forest, a doe jumps out on the path and stops. With the grace that only wild animals can muster, it walks towards Him and begins to lick His free hand. Not surprised, He gently strokes the doe behind the ears and continues on His way when the doe runs off. He is not surprised. The old ones are the guardians of the all life, He is their guardian... their sword.

Loud jeering and laughter snapped Him out of his thoughts on his place in the universe. Sounds like a good sized group. Wanting to know what is going on up ahead, but still wanting to avoid another confrontation if possible, He silently moves off the path into the trees and slowly stalks towards the source of voices. In a short time he sees that the path opens up into a small clearing where another path crosses... a good place for an ambush. The twenty or so bandits surrounding a Lady and Her company thought so too.

His keen eyes could tell everyone one in the Lady’s party was obviously frightened for their lives.... except Her. Her beauty was incredible, that of royalty even, but her refined face had something else too it as well. A strength and determination only achieved though intense training or extreme hardship, or both. To His intrigue, there was also a bit of a mischievous glint in Her eye as She looked down upon Her would be attackers from atop Her horse. He decides to move in but chooses to remain out of sight and only intervene if required.

Quietly, the Lady dismounts with a grace that reminds Him of the doe he ran into on the path. Over the next ten minutes, he watches in shock as the Lady dispels all of her assailants quickly, non-lethally, and with astonishing skill. As She took care of the final assailant, another got up seemingly unnoticed by all began to move towards the Lady with his sword drawn. She hasn’t noticed him! Deciding to act, He quickly throws one of the knives on his belt and drops the last bandit before he could get within 15 feet of the Lady and moves forward to collect his knife and make sure the Lady was not harmed in Her fight.

“I am unhurt sir,” She says without turning around, “and thank you for the help, but if I knew you were hiding in the tree-line then I was most certainly aware of that man. As you no doubt saw, unless you had your eyes closed, I am fully capable of looking after myself.”

Shocked, He can only stammer, “Y...yo...you knew I was their? Who prey tell are you my dear lady?”

“Some call me Angel, others Dark Blossom,” She replies dusting her clothes off and finally turning around to face Him.

Angel.... that is exactly what this warrior princess is... what a fitting name, he thinks before responding, “The people of this time call me Scabernac.”

“This time?”

“It is a long story my dear, may I ask where you are heading?”

“I am on my way to see my sister, the Queen of this realm. We were separated when very young and I wish to reunite with her. It too is a long story strange sir”

“The Queen you say... it never hurts to know who the rulers of a place is. May I offer you my arm and services and accompany you upon your journey?”

”.... I don’t exactly know why sir, but I think I can trust you and there is clearly more to you than meets the eye... Yes you may come with us.”

This little quest has the potential to be interesting and fun, “It is settled, your quest is now also my quest,” he smiles... besides, the old ones and their quest will still be here when I return, they always are....

Time Posted: February 25 2009 01:17 pm EST
Last updated: February 25 2009 11:55 pm EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: