You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

St_Winterheart

[+1] [-1]

Subject: CHAPTER 3. Edification.
“L-lady W-Winterheart?” The chambermaid nervously looked around my room.

I stayed silent, watching her from the vaulted ceiling of my room. Chambermaids usually avoid my room at all costs, so whatever reason she may have for coming here must have been very important. Still, she didn’t knock before coming in. This calls for a lesson. I smirked.

I silently jumped down behind her, watching as the poor girl wildly looked left and right.

Finally convinced nobody was there, the chambermaid turned around to leave and came face to face with me.

“Yo.”

“IYAAAAAAAHH!!!”

SLAP!

~ ~ ~

“Your Majesty, you summoned?” I genuflected before the Queen.

For several seconds there was no response, and before I could stop myself I instinctively looked up at the Queen.

Speechless, she was looking at my face and the bright red, hand-shaped welt across my cheek. I looked down again, unsure if I have to explain it.

When she noticed how uneasy I was under her gaze, she recovered her composure. “Yes. I wanted to ask how the Princess’ training was coming along.”

“Training?” I echoed. What training?

“Under the terms of the contract, the princess is under your protection and edification. You do know what that means, don’t you?”

I began to nod, but chose to tell the truth and shook my head instead.

She sighed. “Protection and training. You won’t just be protecting her, you’ll have to train her as well. Not that I blame you for not knowing... you’re actually the first person to get as far as the second paragraph in the contract.”

I don’t know what that means, but anything that has to do with that princess can’t possibly be good.

“What do I need to train her for?”

“There are four basics: horseback riding, swordsmanship, archery, self-defense and self-medication. You just need to handle swordsmanship and horseback riding. She’s too young for full-fledged training anyway.”

“How can you be so sure I’m good enough to train a princess?”

“Oh, I’m sure.” She smiled. “You fought with King Blade and lived.”

You mean, fought and half-died. I thought to myself. If I were any good, I would’ve DEFEATED him.

No matter. I have more pressing matters to think about, such as training that... that shrimp of a princess. hey, that's a good one. I bet she'll be throwing tantrums the entire day once I call her that. I bowed down, trying to hide my smirk. I turned to leave.

“Chill.”

I slowly turned around, puzzled as to why she made the mistake of calling me by my first name again.

“Could you please tell me what happened to your face?” She asked, full of concern.

I didn’t expect her asking about it and was caught off-guard. “I-it’s nothing your Majesty. I fell off my bed and—“

“—and your face landed on someone’s hand? You’re a pretty lame liar.” She sighed and walked over to where I was. “Stand up.” She tilted my chin up with one hand while a small, smooth piece of ice formed in the other. She gently rubbed the ice across the angry welt.

"And how do you even expect me to believe that? You DON'T use your bed. You're usually out there in God-knows-where in the middle of the night..."

I looked down, my cheek reddening at the unexpected attention. I could smell her scent… a warm, sweet fragrance that painfully reminded me of my mother. My mother… my knees suddenly felt weak.

“Did the princess slap you?”

“N-no she didn’t… I…” My shoulders fell in resignation. “I tried to play a prank on the chambermaid by surprising her and… it worked. Kind of .”

“I see. I guess you deserve that welt.” She rubbed the ice a little harder on my cheek, and I suppressed the urge to complain. “You’re over 200 years old, you look like 26, and you think like 12. Someone ought to spank you.” She lectured.

I smiled to myself defeatedly.

If my mother were alive, she'd say exactly the same thing.

No Signature

Time Posted: February 5 2009 03:37 pm EST
Last updated: February 5 2009 03:37 pm EST

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: