You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Evenstar

[+1] [-1]

Subject: What do you think?
What do you think about this as an idea to a short story or essay?

I awake to a call. Someone familiar is calling my name. I stretch my arms and pull away the covers. What I see is not my normal room. I find myself in a room I once knew. Small, comfortable, and familiar. I know every crack in the wall and every splatter of paint as I know my own beating heart is a part of my body. It’s warm. I feel warm. I hear another call. I stumble to the door. Before I go beyond my bedroom door, I look back and listen. I hear the sweet sound of music, a pair of footsteps, and the tearing of paper. I feel the early morning dawn on the walls of my room the breeze outside caresses my window. It feels like a normal day, though it is not. I feel overjoyed, but do not know why.

Eagerly, I unlock my door. I find a man by a short, stout tree. He is towering over it; putting a star perhaps. I see little packages wrapped in colorful paper with bows and ribbons. He is familiar. He is my father. The music continues. I gasp and my father turns to see me. He greets me and I smile. Surprisingly, I am running to him with arms wide open, a smile, and teary eyes. I dash through the rugs, the presents, everything! I wrap my arms around him. The familiar music, the holiday fragrance, the warmth of home overwhelms me. I feel an emotion that cannot be described in words. “Happy” would be the biggest understatement of the year. I hug him so tightly it would nearly break his back, and still it wouldn’t last me a month away from here. I see his joyous face as he looks at me.

From behind me another voice calls; my mother’s voice. I hug her slender body just as tightly and bury my face in her shirt. I tell her how much I appreciate what she’s done. She strokes my hair and greets me. Then a knock on the door is heard. I open it, and my aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends are there; all of whom I have lived with for the first 12 years of my life. They have their usual customs; Uncles arguing with each other on politics, Grandparents bringing in gifts to spoil grandchildren, Aunts already scheduling hair and facial appointments with the sales on the holidays, and I and my cousins playing senselessly while the adults do their thing. Today, I’m a child.

I stray from my family for a moment and look at them. I don’t want anything else. There could be no improvement from this scene that I want or need. I’m content, for once. Then in unison, they stop what they’re doing. They smile and look at me. I hear one more call. Then a blank scene took over. No more music, every loved one disappears, nothing left at all. It is now that I realize I am not home. I am in my subconscious. I was granted the dream of my perfect Christmas. That was all it was; a dream. I awake again, but this time, to my normal room. The wide and spacious room with four walls a roof, a floor, a door, and 1 window. I stare at the ceiling for a moment. I try and go back to my dream, but it is long gone. I wish with all my might that I be able to make my dream a reality. No use.

I grumble out of bed with a blank look on my face. It is Christmas day, yet I feel so gloomy. I go down the stairs to the living room with the enormous tree. One, Two, Three, Four, and Five. Five presents under the tree for me. I see them but do not jump with joy or race to open them. I calmly walk to the presents and open them one by one. My mom is tending to the newborn baby. Her husband falls asleep on the couch behind me. I am not alone, yet I feel like I am in a prison cell in Alcatraz. I go through the presents one by one and see how valuable and exciting they are. Still, I feel sad; but I’m not alone. So I put on a smile and a set of happy eyes. I thank them for all the gifts and put on my best face. They fall for it and stay content. They will never know my Christmas dream, and with that, my Christmas Wish.

So... what do you think?

No Signature

Time Posted: December 25 2008 11:04 pm EST
Last updated: December 26 2008 04:21 am EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: