You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Fintan_de_Marin

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Words of Marque

Fintan, garbed in his white robes of state, stood in the courtyard of King Atmos. The Royal Westland Guard keeping posts beside him, though trembling. Fintan had arrived in a very upset mood, and was rather brash when he demanded to speak with the High King. Two of the four guards just happened to have met Fintan before, and one still bore the mark across his cheek where Fintan plunged his rapier though the side of the guard's mouth. Fintan of course did not see why this caused the guard to fear him. It proved the Count did not have as good a skill with the sword as he thought. Fintan had aimed for the right eye.

"Do not shiver around me, it makes me look bad." Fintan stated with a slight chuckle to the guard on his forward left. The guard was shaking, nervous about having his back to Fintan. "I never kill a man." He used the word with a tone as if to define what a man really was. "Who can not see my eyes."

"I am grateful for that, Count de Marin." Atmos said as he walked down the stairs in to the courtyard. The guards parted and allowed Fintan to speak freely with the king. The king was not alone however, a middle aged woman accompanied him.

She was clearly a noble by the way she dressed. The crest that glittered on her ring on her left hand denoted she was one of the nobles of a clan held territory. Blond hair graced her shoulders under her diadem. She wore an elegant dress of gold and white silk. Her blue eyes pierced Fintan, glaring at him with loathing.

"Lady Matilda..." He strained out trying to keep composure. He bowed his head slightly, but never removed his hat. "Your Majesty, I would speak to you about affairs your people face. I feel their conditions could be greatly improved. If, His Majesty has no objections, I shall continue."

"I have none, but I have heard no complaints until just now..." He said cautiously.

"How could their conditions be better? We are not so privileged to be as Arelia, with little to no crime. The people should be content rather than envy another land."

"Interesting words from the Mistress of the guards who removed the tongue of a young boy for merely speaking his mind." Fintan blurted out at Matilda rather bluntly.

"If he had his tongue removed by my guards then he was guilty of speaking words of treason." She retorted. "And you are pressing your luck with me, Count."

"I'm not pressing anything with you...yet." His hand was resting on his pistol.

"Enough, both of you." Atmos groaned. "Lady Matilda, you will make reparations for this, and discharge the guards in question from your service. We are not Arelia, but should strive to use their codes. Fair trial before punishment. The dark ages are over. Count de Marin, come and we will speak alone."

Atmos turned and walked back in to the castle. Fintan strode past Matilda, his shoulder brushing hard against hers. Matilda's hand went to a dagger she carried in the folds of her dress. When the guards stepped forward, and blocked her ability to move with out going past them, she was forced to abandon it. "You'll have to pardon us, Mi'lady." The guard with the scar on his face said. "But we can't let nothin' happen to His Grace." Matilda huffed loudly and strode away.

Neither Atmos nor Fintan spoke as they walked the halls of the castle. Fintan followed Atmos as he made twists and turns. He went up stairs flights that led to the higher levels of the castle. The walls were beautifully decorated with paintings that depicted different locations in the Westlands. Along with swords and shields bearing crests, telling the history of the kingdom. Finally, Atmos made a sudden turn in to a room. Fintan, obviously, followed him in. As the king crossed the room, a pair of guards opened a set of doors that led to the balcony. Fintan's breath was almost stolen from him, looking out over all of the Westlands.

"A hermit wizard conjured this balcony, Count de Marin. It allows me to look over all of my kingdom. Tell me what is on your mind."

"Matilda, and many other members of your court and the barons of the land are causing unneeded pain upon your people."

"You think I do not know this?"

"But you do nothing to stop it?"

"What can I do? I would loose their support if I..."

"You worry too much about a few. There are more nobles who would stand with you against these oppressive pigs. Even if they will not, Arelia will back you and give you any aid you need."

"I do not want war. I saw what it did to Arelia."

"Then...." Fintan looked out at the Dark Forest where his summer home was nestled in the woods of Fairyhaunt. He could see the roads, the highways. His mind went to the times he use to ride those roads to inflict financial pain on the lords of Westland. He started to think of how bored he has been since the dismissal of Silver Rose. "I will stop them, with your permission."

"How? You are one man against thousands."

"If you do not know how I will do it, you will not be guilty of my crimes."

"Fintan...." The king used Rogue's first name on a basis of fear.

"If I am caught, I ask only that you pardon me swiftly before I drop from the gallows. I am not as skilled as I once was."

"You mean to ride the highways?" He asked shocked. "...Very well. Go with my blessing, but if you can, spare the lives of my nobles."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Fintan bowed, and left the balcony. He now had to plan...

Time Posted: September 25 2011 05:25 pm EDT
Last updated: December 3 2011 01:42 pm EST

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: