You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Eddie_the_Kid

[+1] [-1]

Subject: While felt addressed the over all issue already...
I still had to reply to this... tried not too, but couldn't help it.

"This reflects many aspects of life and brings to the game the idea of punishment for lack of activity."

That's nice... but this isn't life, it is a game. Besides, the majority of academia, many managers, and a whole lot of psychologist all agree that positive reinforcement is far more effective then any negative reinforcement can ever be in terms of increasing efficieny and productivity... or in this case activity. Punishments should only be used as absolute worst case scenario solvers and to be honest, I never realized that game activity was at such a low level as to require this?

"You have relegation for poorly performing sports teams, you have winning lottery tickets that expire if not claimed, you can be demoted at work for being late once too often..."

These are not relevant comparisons. In the of these cases of the sports team and employee, you are using examples where when the people first began that particular activity, they then consented to a contractual agreement (real for the sports team, implied by society for other areas of work). The sports players and workforce have an obligation to their employers to perform at a certain level and both parties in either case agree to them. When you join or buy a game, there is no social or legal obligation to actually play the game. Nor do I remember anywhere a minimum level of activity being required. If you are not obligated to play the game the how can you be punished for not playing it beyond what you miss while not being there?

Lottery tickets work differently then these do since there is no obligation to claim any winnings. But lottery tickets are a kind or promotional offer and therefore, by both definition and law, must have a time limit. Lumbering and Lumber training are both basic aspects of the game and not promotional offers, so they shouldn't have time limits. Furthermore, while not directly connected to this topic, lottery tickets, as a form of gambling, have a whole other set of rules that do not apply to lumbering in any way which makes it an even worse example.

"I also know of 'other' games where inactivity results in demotions so why should DW not have a similar aspect?"

In response to this, I also know of 'other' games where activity is rewarded rather then inactivity being punished. Little things like small rewards that increase each day you login, with a cap around 5 days at which point it starts over at the lowest one.

A more fair comparison would be that of a pensioner who misses cashing a cheque and finds their next one is at a drastically lower amount (comparable to losing a lumber level due to inactivity). They already spent their working life paying into the pension fund (comparable to lumber training) and by all legal standards deserves the fullest payout available to them.

As I said before starting this, Felt has indeed already made the problem a little more endurable. My response here is simply born from a desire to address the points you raised.

Time Posted: September 23 2011 09:57 am EDT
Last updated: September 23 2011 10:26 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: