You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

_Andrew_

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Prt 2 Pride and Honor
Pride and Honor

Shawn walked into the inn and took a seat, ordering a glass of water. He rested her forehead on the table and stretched her arms across it. It was a few moments before she drew back up and rubbed her face with her hands as the waitress placed the glass of water on the table in front of her. “Thanks” Shawn said in a hoarse voice before taking a sip. She set down the glass and then started coughing harshly.

Shawn rested her head in her hands and then glanced up a few minutes later when she heard someone walking into the inn. She thought she recognized him, but dismissed it. Couldn’t be Possible. She took another drink of her water and fought more coughs before she heard a voice, directed towards her, from a nearby table. She glanced towards it and saw the man who had just walked in. She blinked and then it registered what the man had said.

“Shawn, is that you?”

“Who’s asking?” Shawn asked, not recognizing the voice.

“Man, has it been a long time, Shawn. I haven’t seen you since…”

“Since what?” Shawn was starting to get confused. Her brain was too scrambled from being sick for so long.

“Since the Jager.”

Shawn cringed. “Thanks for reminding me...” She took another sip of her water and then went into a coughing fit; it was several seconds before she stopped coughing. “Bad memories. Don’t mention it again, Zandroch.” Shawn said, having finally remembered the other man’s name and realizing who he was.

“But man… it has been a long time, Shawn. It’s been what? Two years?”

“No. Four months.”

“I seem to have… lost track of time… I’ve been searching for someone all this time and I guess I just lost my sense of time.”

“Indeed.” Shawn coughed lightly and took a drink of her water. “Reminds me... I’ve been looking for someone as well.”

“Who?” Zandroch queried.

“A king… who saved me and my brother’s life after you ditched us. You’re lucky you did… or I would have to kill you.”

“HA!” Zandroch scoffed “YOU kill ME?!”

Shawn snarled and scowled, “I swear I will rip your throat out if you insult me again. I may not seem like much, especially now, but I am more than enough to take down anyone who stands in my way.” She hissed.

Zandroch held up his hands and shook his head “Sorry, I just can’t help but scoff at the idea of anyone being able to beat me.”

Shawn rolled her eyes.

“So why do you have to kill the man who saved you?”

“For exactly that reason. He saved me, and so I must kill him to protect the Zeff family Pride and Honor.” She held out her fist in front of her face and rested her other hand on her bicep, “Without pride or Honor-- a Werewolf is nothing, so we must do all we can to protect it, or die trying.” She then went into a coughing fit and then when she was done coughing; she took another drink of water.

“I see… I know how that feels.”

Shawn nodded and then peered into her glass of water “it’s all your fault Simon…” she muttered, “it’s all your fault…”

“So how do you plan to find him?”

“I track his scent from where I last saw him and go from there.”

“Is it alright if I go with you?”

Shawn shot him a glare “Why?”

“I’m bored. I need some entertainment, who knows... maybe I’ll find my hell bent brother. He’s bound to be following you to see if he can find me again.”

“Whatever. Do what you want.” Shawn took another drink of her water and then stood up and walked out the door of the inn and headed for the forest. Zandroch got up and followed her.

“So what is it between you and your brother?”

“Zaccius and I? We just hate each other... a family dispute, nothing to bother you with.”

“Whatever.”

Shawn walked on, not once glancing back at Zandroch.

“Who is this King you spoke of?” he asked her.

“Someone I knew when I was 14. He disappeared from the first place I lived after my banishment suddenly one day; no one knew where he went. Never would have thought he would become a king…”

“Does he have a name?”

Shawn paused for a few moments, debating. She coughed miserably and then as the words formed on the tip of her tongue and she began to speak, Zandroch silenced her. “Sh. I hear something.”

Shawn cocked her head to the side and her ears popped out from under her hair and listened carefully, not believing she had missed it, but then again… she was sick. Then she heard it, the ruffling of feathers.

Zandroch suddenly scowled and then hissed “You’re going to have to go on without me.” Then the man ran off. Shawn shrugged and then continued on her way.

Several minutes later Shawn sighed, coughed, and then shook her head. “What is wrong with you Simon?” She muttered and sniffed. “I know this sickness is all because of you. Just like everything else.”

Simon dragged himself up off the ground and clung to the side of a tree, sweat dripping from his forehead from the mere exertion of the movement. He stood their panting and leaning against the tree. He took a short step forward, cringing in pain from the movement. He stepped forward again with the same foot, his other leg dragged behind him. Green tendrils climbed up the left side of his neck, the obvious sign of a serious infection on his shoulder, which had also taken over his useless leg. Blood matted his hair from a minor head wound that had begun to fester. He coughed and reopened some of his wounds and then went into a fit, coughing up blood as he collapsed back to the ground. When it finally calmed he lay there still, surprised nothing had hunted him down and killed him yet. Surprised he was still alive after four months. He guessed it was the reek of infection that kept hunters away. He just wished his life would end.

Shawn recited her declaration, her werewolf arms crossed in front of her “My name is Shawn Zeff, daughter of the great Barret Zeff. You have dishonored the Zeff family name by damaging my pride and saving my life. For this, you must die.”

The recipient of the challenge said nothing, just stared at her with pity in his dark grey eyes.

“You must accept my challenge. You have no choice.” Shawn said.

“I wish it didn’t have to come to this Shawn… we were friends back in the day. When we were fourteen.”

“Don’t make this any harder than it is!” Shawn snarled and then charged at him. “Fight me!”

The man side-stepped her and then turned to face her again. “I don’t WANT to fight you. You were my only friend.” His medium length midnight blue hair fluttered about in the wind.

“FIGHT ME ANDREW!” Shawn screamed at him and then slugged him in the face, raking her claws across it and then jumping back. “It’s been 15 years since then, GROW UP!”

“You’re not the first one to say that…” Andrew said. “Fine. Have it your way.”

Andrew ignored the black sword he had at his black and then reached out into the air, pulling his main sword out of the air. Blood welled from the wounds on the right side of his face and ran down his cheek. He took his sword in both hands and then charged at her with it. Shawn braced herself and then grabbed the blade in her paws as it came at her. She kicked out at him with a foot; he disappeared and reappeared behind her. Shawn dropped to the ground and then swung a foot around, catching Andrew on the ankle and causing him to temporarily lose his footing, he reached out and a spear materialized in his hand and he stuck it into the ground, swung around on the spear shaft and then planting his feet on her chest and she flew back, skidding across the ground.

Shawn coughed and she climbed back to her feet and then charged him again. Andrew pulled the spear out of the ground and then threw it at her. Shawn snatched it out of the air and gripped it in her large paws, and used it against him. He blocked it with his sword, which he pulled out of the air.

“Your holding back” Shawn snarled at him, their faces inches away.

“I can’t help it.”

“Don’t hold back. You’re just making it all worse. Give me all you’ve got” She hissed, knowing that that was a mistake. She may have been able to beat him 15 years ago, but now he outmatched her exponentially in every way.

“You’ll die.”

“Then I’ll DIE protecting my Pride and Honor! Give me a death I deserve, I’d rather die trying to protect my pride and honor than die of a sickness that isn’t mine.”

Andrew narrowed his eyes. “Fine... your choice. I just wish we could have caught up and been friends again.”

“It’s too late for that now.” Shawn said and then she jumped back, dropping the spear and then jumping forward again. Andrew drew back his sword and then thrust it forward as she charged him. There was a slight push on the blade and then it stopped. Andrew didn’t realize he had been closing his eyes until he opened then again; feeling claws in the back of his neck, head, and in his back. Shawn fell onto him, her breath in gags. Her arms grew weak and then they dropped to her sides. Her gold eyes were wide in shock and a trickle of blood dripped down her lips.

“Shawn?” Andrew said his voice soft. He... he was shocked. He didn’t mean to. He knew she was skilled enough to have gotten out of the way of his sword.

“Simon… damn you…” Shawn said and then slumped forward onto Andrew. Andrew released the hilt of his sword and then caught her in his arms, resting his head on her shoulder.

“I’m sorry…” he sighed and then laid her on the ground, and that’s when he realized that his sword had never touched her skin for it had fallen to the ground when he released the hilt.

Simon coughed violently, blood splattering everywhere as he coughed. He was suffocating in his own blood. Simon continued to cough, thrashing and clawing on the ground. His mind began to slowly shift his forms to try and escape the pain, but it was too late. Halfway between man and werewolf he drowned in his own blood and died, and at that same moment, Shawn spoke her last words and died as well.

Andrew gazed down at Shawn and then closed her gold eyes with his fingertips before brushing back the black hair on her forehead and then kissing her on the forehead. “At least it wasn’t me that killed you, my friend. I can breathe easy again…” Andrew than stood up, picked up his sword and it vanished. He looked around and then began to prepare a grave for her in the darkness of the new moon.

Time Posted: April 22 2011 01:36 pm EDT
Last updated: April 22 2011 01:36 pm EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: