You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

RavenKnight

[+1] [-1]

Subject: I have found my old story!
It's not as well written as I'd like, but it's not bad. You may notice repitition of me referring to myself as 'the man', and for that i apologise, but even though i wrote this a long time ago, i think it would be an act of desolation to tamper with its original form

The Origins of The Raven Knight, Pts. 1-4

Subject: The Origins of The Raven Knight

In a simpler time, a time of epic battles, magic, and dragons, when men were men and women got rescued from certain peril by said brave men ( ), there lived the RavenKnight. Though the origins of this great warrior-mage are surrounded in mystery, a nearly toothless bard in some scummy tavern on the wrong side of town claims to know the true saga of this warrior-mage.
You slip the bard a few gold coins, pull up your foaming tankard of ale and a rickety stool, and listen to him tell the true tale of the RavenKnight........................

It all began in a small village in the middle of nowhere. Lying next to the outskirts of the Great Forest, this peaceful village had never known war. Two small boys, playing happily together in the forest, had no idea how much their lives were about to change. Scavengers, the scum of the earth who scrounged a living out of the Dark Forest, some of the worst men in the whole of Westland, had ventured out of the Dark Forest into the peaceful Forest where the village resided. The boys suddenly heard far away screams from the direction of their village. They ran home as fast as they could, dodging and ducking through the forest.

But they were too late, by the time they got home, their fellow villagers were strewn around the village, dead, and their homes were burning. In the middle of the village stood a man dressed in full plate armour, with a cloak of purple. He walked over to the boys, his horse in tow.
"Boys, I'm a travelling knight, and I'm sorry I couldn't get here in time."
The boys just stand there, lips trembling.
"How'd you like to come back to the Academy with me, I could train you to bring vengeance upon those who killed your people. There's nothing left here for you now."
One of the boys slowly nods his head, but the other runs off into the forest. The boy calls out to his friend, calling him to come back, but it is too late.
The boy gathers whats left of his possessions, and, following the knight out of the village, pauses. he notices a raven perching on the stoop of what had once been his home. the boy pulls some bits of bread out of his pocket, and holds out his hand. The raven flies over to his hand, eats the bread, and quite happily perches on the boys shoulder. The knight looks puzzled;
"Not everyone can make friends with a raven, lad. Maybe it was fate that I came across you."
The boy simply stares at the knight, his eyes still brimming with tears.
"Come on then lad, lets get you to your new home."
The knight and the boy set off towards the main city of Westland, to the Academy, where the boy would learn to fight..............................

Listening to this tale, you wonder how the bard knows this for sure. The bard gives you a piercing gaze, and replies;
"I was the boy who ran into the forest".
Apologising for doubting him, you slip the bard another coin, and ask him to continue the tale, taking a big swig of your tankard, and leaning forward, listening intently..........................

Next Instalment of the Origins of the RavenKnight coming soon folks! (as soon as that lazy bard sobers up... Lol )

Subject: The Origins of the Raven Knight, Pt. 2

Now that that bard has sobered up, he sits back down and starts to continue his story.........

The boy who ran into the forest, wandered around. Cold, lonely and wet through, he was found by a lone woodsman who raised him as his own.

So that was how this bard was the boy who ran into the forest.

As for the RavenKnight, the knight took him to the academy in Westland, where he would start his training as a warrior-mage.

Long and hard the RavenKnight trained in the Academy, his only companions being his raven and the travelling knight, who schooled him in not just fighting, but philosophy, literature, culture, and the arts.

The boy grew tall and broad, shooting up in height and width through his adolescence, his muscles honed by the endless sword training, his mind honed by the endless study of magic and the arts.

One day, just two days before his twenty-first birthday and his investiture as a knight, the knight approached him:
"Your trials are coming soon, are you prepared?"
The boy, now a man, was meditating cross legged on the floor of his bare stone cell. The knight continued;
"You may have learned the way of the sword, but what we have taught you in the way of magic pales into insignificance compared to what you will have to do to become a great warrior-mage."
The man considered this, and continued to meditate. Reaching out with his mind, he exerted a force of effort and sparked the kindling in his fireplace into flames. If pyrokinesis was nothing compared to what he would soon learn, he wondered why they would teach him something so destructive.

That night, he couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned endlessly in his bedclothes, the warm embrace of sleep eluding him. Suddenly, a dark figure appeared. The man saw a cloth being clamped over his mouth just before he lost conciousnes.........

Part 3 coming soon!

Subject: The Origins of the Raven Knight, Pt. 3

With a fresh tankard of ale, the bard continues......

The man awoke in a strange part of the Forest, unsure of where he was. He look around, and saw all his armour, emblazoned with a raven, stacked neatly with his sword on a tree stump. His loyal raven was perched on the sword hilt. He had no shield, as that kept his shield hand free to cast spells in battle.
He strapped on his armour, and secured his brown hooded travelling cloak around him to mostly conceal his armour. He strapped on his sheath around his waist, and slid his sword into its sheath. The raven flew over to perch on his shoulder.

What he hadn't before noticed was a letter underneath his armour. He picked it up and began to read:
"We have taught you all we can, for further learning as a warrior-mage, you must find two places. First, the Chamber of Wisdom. They will charge you platinum to school you, but their teachings are faultless. Secondly, the Devious Ridge. You cannot visit here until you are much greater, as they charge sapphires, very rare red stones, to school you. But they can teach you the mightiest powers in all of Westland. To help you learn how to travel around this world and find the gold you'll need to live, and the platinum and sapphires for your schooling, we have arranged for you to meet a guide named Berlock. His cabin is not far from here, 100 paces into the forest north, then a further 100 paces in northwest. Good luck. Signed, The Travelling Knight."

To this day, the Raven Knight has still never found out the identity of his mysterious saviour and tutor.

The man, soon to become the Raven Knight, walked into the forest, and found Berlock's hut. Here, the old man Berlock had him running around Westland, discovering how to carve himself a living, to find platinum in the forest, and in which direction the Chamber of Wisdom and Devious Ridge were. After two months of working and learning, the old man threw the RavenKnight from his cabin, shouting "You go learn the rest for yourself - you're not ready for the Dark Forest or the Devious Ridge beyond it, but you know how to survive the forest and you are ready for the chamber of wisdom. Now get out of my sight!"
The man protested "How will i know when I'm ready for the dark forest and the devious ridge?"
Berlock replied "You'll just know. Now go find those plats and get to the Chamber of Wisdom!"

So the man set off into the forest, now knowing the ways of Westland, to find plats to sponsor his education in the chamber of wisdom............

Part 4 coming soon, as soon as you buy that bard a new tankard of ale!

Subject: The Origins of the Raven Knight, Pt. 4

The man, now invested as the RavenKnight by his mysterious patron prior to his arrival at berlock's hut, wandered through the forest. Not knowing what to do, he set off in the direction of the Chamber of Wisdom.

(For ease of storytelling, it's assumed that the Chamber of Wisdom teaches all the swordie and acolyte skills i know in one go)

He arrived at the great doors of the Chamber of Wisdom, massive oaken doors heavily covered in celtic knot style metal embossing. He rapped on the door with his steel gauntlet, and received no reply. He wondered how he could get in. He paced up and down, and knocked several times, but still recieved no reply.

Finally, he sat down in front of the massive doors, and crossed his legs (with some difficulty, as he was wearing full plate armour and a great hooded cloak).
He meditated. He reached out with his mind, and used his small powers of magic to project his mind out and feel around the doors with his mind. At this, the metal embossing on the door began to glow. The doors lashed out with a force and knocked his mind back into his body. A great voice boomed out; "Who dares approach the Chamber of Wisdom"
The RavenKnight screamed out in reply; "It is I, the Raven Knight! I have come to learn the path of the warrior-mage, as my tutor at the Academy said that you could instruct me better than he."

The great voice replied; "How do you intend to pay for our tutelage and your board here?"
He replied; "with platinum!"
The great voice replied; "To teach you what you wish to become, 300 platinum it will require, and you will be here for many months. I know you do not have the platinum now, so return to me when you have 300 platinum!"

With that, the great voice fell silent.
The RavenKnight opened his eyes, and slowly stood up. At least now he knew his goal for platinum accumulation. He wandered back into the forest, wondering how long it would take to accrue that much platinum from the forest. Quests, he knew, could accrue much platinum over time. But he also knew that the dark forest had quests which yielded much higher amounts of platinum and there was raw platinum ore to be found there. But, he wouldnt be ready for such a trial until he had completed his time at the chamber of wisdom, when he would be working to pay for tutelage at the devious ridge.

Until then, he would stick to the relative safety of the normal forest, until he had passed his trials at the chamber of wisdom and was that much closer on his path to becoming one of the greatest warriors in the land, and avenging his family.

Pt. 5 coming as soon as I think of it! lol

Time Posted: July 16 2010 03:18 pm EDT
Last updated: July 16 2010 03:18 pm EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: