You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Orodreth Tiwele

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Thank you
You made your point a lot clearer.

Now I understand that your point was "you can learn just about everything you need to without a subscription", not "I learned how to be the best because I didn't start out with a subscription".

And I fully agree with you there.

As for the other point you've made since... how does selling helix equal abuse? This sounds like a very broad and subjective definition of abuse we're dealing with here.

If players could make a "positive profit feedback loop" out of getting helix out of the game for gold (Southgate) and then putting it back into the game (putting something "back into the game" for all practical purposes means destroying it) for more gold, such as a Helix Shop selling for 500k+ each, then that would be poor game design. But it doesn't go back into the game- it goes into other players' hands.

It would be simpler if I could illustrate this in a flowchart, but I'll do the best I can.
At one point, we have the helix buyers, who get gold from the game for nothing (lumber, fishing, NOT markets or thieving). At another, we have those who put money back into the game and get helix out, at Southgate. They sell the helix to the gold-producers, who pretty much use all the helix that's brought into players' hands. Meanwhile, the helix-producers take the gold they've gotten and it goes back into the game. There are 2 "permanent" outputs to this: helix-buyers get more energy, and helix-sellers get to keep subscribing.

In this way, much of the gold that's gathered goes back into the game via Southgate, All the helix either gets used or hoarded, but you can tell that input equals output because helix amounts haven't gone up or down. However, gold amounts have gone up steadily, and this is because there's more gold going from the game into people's hands than there is going from people's hands into the game. There's a surplus of gold. So really, the imbalance (NOT abuse, but imbalance) is because there's too much gold being made. Look at the high-energy giants.

You could call this economics, but I like to call it systems logic. And this is actually a simple form of systems logic. However, if you believe I am wrong, I invite you to refute my points and give a better explanation.

TLDR version:
-You can learn the game without subby, but it's much more enjoyable with it
-Selling helix to afford Southgate is not abuse, but imbalance
-It might not be an imbalance after all because it stops gold and helix from building up
-The effect of this is market stabilization, and allowing more people to access all the features of the game

No Signature

Time Posted: July 5 2010 01:35 am EDT
Last updated: July 5 2010 01:35 am EDT

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: